Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Rejection


4/365
Originally uploaded by Nicole.Kelly
I sometimes think that being a successful writer is one percent talent, 10 percent ambition, and 89 percent being able to handle rejection.

One of my favorite short stories was rejected last night (form rejection) for the fifth time. I really believe in the story, but I do have to question how much my belief is pride and how much is actually warranted. I have a very hard time having an objective perspective on my work. I have a "love it" or "hate it" problem. Edits are tedious on good days and crushing on bad days. That's the problem with being involved with the arts, there are no good metrics by which is measure yourself and have an objective result. I can't step up to a scale and weigh a story ,or run it and have the results come back with a "bug free" status. So when do you give up on a story? How far do you push "perseverance"?

1 comment:

writtenwyrdd said...

Perhaps let this story sit for a few months. Write something new and get back on the 'I love to write' horse.

Sorry you got rejected, it's tough on the ego.